FACT: An estimated 32% of fatal crashes involve an intoxicated driver or pedestrian
* EVERY DAY in America, another 27 people DIE as a result of drunk driving.
* Hundreds of thousands are injured
* Every two minutes, a person is injured in a drunk driving crash
* 50 to70 percent, of convicted drunk divers continue to drive on a suspended license.
* Only time will sober a person up, drinking strong coffee, excersing or taking a cold shower will not help.
* Over 1.4 million arrests for DWI (less than 1% of 159 million self-reported
episodes of alcohol-impaired driving) and 780, 000 are convicted
* Two-thirds of those sentenced to incarceration are repeat offenders
When drinking alcohol, driving becomes dangerous - and potentially lethal.
All states in the U.S. have adopted .08% BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) as the legal limit for operating a motor vehicle for drivers aged 21 years or older
BAC of 0.08:
Muscle coordination is poor (e.g., balance, speech, vision, reaction time and hearing), it is harder to detect danger and judgement, self-control, reasoning, and memory are impaired resulting in reduced concentration, short term memory loss, loss of speed control, reduced infortmation processing capability (e.g., signal detection, visual search) and impaired perception.
Other Vehicles - Not just automobiles: growing number of alcohol-realated crashes occur on water and snow while motor boating, jet-skiing and/or snowmobiling
The majority of drinking and driving deaths are due to drivers with a blood alcohol concentration, or BAC of at least 10 BAC, the most commonly used definition of intoxication.
TEEN ALCOHOL USE KILLS 4,700 PEOPLE EACH YEAR - THAT'S MORE THAN ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS COMBINES
KIDS WHO START DRINKING YOUNG ARE SEVEN TIMES MORE LIKELY TO BE IN AN ALCOHOL-RELATED CRASH
OVER 40% OF ALL 10TH GRADERS DRINK ALCOHOL
ABOUT ONE IN SEVEN TEENS BINGE DRINKS, YET ONLY 1 IN 100 PARENTS BELIEVE HIS OR HER TEEN BINGE DRINKS
CAR CRASHES ARE THE LEADNG CAUSE OF DEATH FOR TEENS, AND ABOUT A QUARTER OF THOSE CRASHES INVOLVE AN UNDERAGE DRINKING DRIVER